Parish churches – including the Abbey – have, historically, been key venues for the conducting of marriages. Indeed, across the country, the Church of England continues to welcome tens of thousands of couples each year who wish to be married in the presence of God and who seek God’s blessing on their life together.
We would love to welcome you.
However, in order to be married at the Abbey or its associated churches you will need to fulfil what is called a ‘Qualifying Connection’. In summary, these are as follows:
- One of the couple was baptised or prepared for confirmation in the parish;
- One of the couple has lived in the parish for six months or more;
- One of the couple has at any time regularly attended public worship in the parish for six months or more;
- One of the couple’s parents has lived in the parish for six months or more in their child’s lifetime;
- One of the couples parents has regularly attended public worship there for six months or more in their child’s lifetime;
- One of the couple’s parents or grandparents were married in the parish.
A member of the clergy team sees every couple at the start of the process of being married in one of the churches (including Castleton, Longburton and Lillington) and you should contact the Parish Secretary for an appointment by email, telephoning the Parish Office on 01935 812452 or writing to The Parish Office, 3Abbey Close, Sherborne DT9 3LQ